Tuesday, May 18, 2010

To-do list checking and celebrity sightings: Part III

Where did we leave off last time?  OK, travel hell, met a PC, bought jewelry from a guy who clearly needed more cowbell and spied a guy who's been in some weird movies and an awesome band.

A bit later we moseyed (yes, we moseyed) back to the movie theater and saw a movie I have been dying to see since I knew about and was SO EXCITED for.  Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE fan of the late, great, Buffy the Vampire Slayer.  I have the whole series on DVD, Angel too.  Hell, I even have the crappy original movie.  I have Buffy friends online.  You'd be well within your rights to say that I'm obsessed.  I love everything Joss Whedon or any of the other Buffy alumni get their hands on so when I heard that Emma Caulfield (Anya) had a new movie out and it was doing limited, week-long runs in LA and NYC and that I'd be in town for the NY dates I was over the moon!
TiMER, the film, is a movie set in a parallel present-day LA where the major difference is a scientific breakthrough, called a timer.  Your timer is implanted into your wrist and counts down to the day that you meet your "one."  It's a really delightful romantic comedy with a bit of a sci-fi twist.  Thankfully though, unlike the usual fluff you see in rom-coms, TiMER is thought provoking, compelling you consider the ramifications of such a device.  I had a whole bit here where I talked about the plot, but it's so good, I really don't want to give it away.  Just trust me when I say it was beyond awesome, one of the best movies I've seen in a long while.  Emma is a joy to watch, and the rest of the cast is quite good as well.



Then, as a special treat, there was a Q&A session with the writer/director Jac Schaeffer and producer Ricki Jarrett.  They were some lovely women who had some really insightful things to say about life, love and the making of their movie.  I would love nothing more than to be friends with these girls, they're that awesome.  Ricki said that although Kali Rocha was is Buffy "we didn't hire her because of the Buffy connection, though that was nice, we hired her because she's freaking awesome!"  I think it's apparent why I like them.  Plus they gave me a sweet little TiMER keychain of my own (169 days, Ari wasn't thrilled)!

You can pre-order the DVD from amazon here or you can stream it using video on demand here.

So, if you could count down until you met your one, would you do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment